Friday, October 22, 2010

Plans for the Future

So, thus far into my blogging campaign, Strongly Entrenched Things has become a daily blog, and I want to keep it as such for the time being.  Of course, there's no way of knowing if and when something comes up and I won't be able to produce enough postings to satisfy the "daily" goal, but I'll do my humanly best.  I'm very excited about some of the postings I've put out thus far, and I look forward to keep up the (good?) work in the future. BUT! I do want to keep you posted on an agenda that I'll be trying my best to stick to.

In the coming weeks I've set up a few topics of thought that I've spaced out for special dates and times. Tomorrow I'm thinking of talking about poetic and mythical "muses", and Sunday... I'm not certain on what to do for Sunday just yet.  But starting on the 25th of October, until the end of the month, I'm going to do a seven part series on the origin of Halloween. No, no, I don't celebrate it, but I do wish to tell the world about it's origins, so that should suffice well enough.  Also, on November 1st I'll be posting something I just looked into today.  It's something so big that... I need over a week of time before I can put it into text.  Let's just say, it's a legend that can be proven true, and on November 2nd I'll back that legend up with some ancient Chinese. So, please stay tuned, at least for those dates.

But anyway, today I'll try to stay out of etymology (study of the origins of words) and teach you a little of some Mandarin (Chinese) that I learned today from a friend of mine. I definitely, definitely, don't know how to create Chinese characters on the computer, and I'm not going to look for them, so I'll just stick with English phonetics to help you pronounce as best as possible.

Let's start with a simple hello: Ni-Hau (This literally translates to "you good")
To turn statements into questions put this word at the end of the sentence: ...Ma?
So then, to ask someone how they're doing: Ni-Hau Ma?
To respond to the question and say I'm good: Wai-Hau ("I good")
If you want to tell someone they're you're friend: Ni-Shie Wah-duh Peng-yo ("You are my friend")
If you want to introduce said friend: Ta Shie Wah-duh Peng-yo (Ta means he or she - "He/she is my friend")
Just put their name after the statement: Ta Shie Wah-duh Peng-yo, Dakota
To say thank you: Shie-Shie
And of course, to say goodbye: Zai Chien ("see you again")

------

I'd love to learn more, and when I do I'll be sure to share with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment